Magical Girl Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Girl Cafe

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» help regarding old forum
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 am

» Tokyo Mew Mew reboot anime series
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

» Magical Girl Fandom Rivalries
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

» Petite Princess Yucie/Puchi Puri Yuushi
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

» Tonde Buurin / Super Pig
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:52 pm

» Dragon Ball Super VS Sailor Moon Crystal
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

» What are you watching right now?
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:13 pm

» Otome Games
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm

» Anyone Actually Watching Crystal?
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am

» Sailor Moon Speedy dub
Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 am

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

Utena: Is this series good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Love Interest
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Love Interest

Coffee Beans : 216

Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:42 pm

ToriJ wrote:
Ta da: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shoujo_kakumei_utena/c001/

I just read it... it's really good, but I don't see how it's a magical girl show...
Back to top Go down
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 698

PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 10:06 am

Utena is my favorite anime ever (I need to rewatch it), to me the manga doesn't even compare (Sorry Chiho Saito) 

For the "is it a magical girl?" debate, I think there's definitely some elements taken like transformation sequences and magic swords being taken out of bosoms. 
And really these duels are so abstract and surreal, there's not really any explanation except for Kunihiko Ikuhara's own quirky directing style, so you think "It must be magic". 

The revelation of these strange happenings in the last few episodes, could also be taken metaphorically. So I really think it's up to the viewers own interpretation of why castles are hanging upside-down and whatnot. Ikuhara has said  "I don't like to give a straight interpretation of my work because it limits someone else view" (basically) so I don't think there's any wrong answer to how someone interprets the series.

To avoid debates I consider it a magical girl, since it does fit the "girl who uses magic/strange powers" rule. But to me, I think labeling Utena as Just a magical girl show does it a disservice - It's so many things that the magical girl part is just one piece of a bigger pie.
Back to top Go down
http://kawaiibunny3.tumblr.com
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Love Interest
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Love Interest

Coffee Beans : 216

PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 11:39 am

How different are the anime and manga?
Back to top Go down
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Very XD 

Like just off the top of my head:

1, that whole introduction chapter with her childhood friend and her aunt isn't even mentioned in anime.

2 - theres a whole bunch of new characters to follow. Like Nanami and her "friends"

3- Juri's never in love with Touga. Her internal struggles are like of a completely different character

4- Kozue's personality

5 - Touga's role sortof being downplayed. Also he's much less chivalrous more despicable.

6 - Its also much more silly. Like there'll be a serious discussion and in the background kids are playing baseball or they're drinking thru silly straws. Little fun subtle things like that. Don't even get me started on Nanami episodes

aside from the basic plot of "girl protects girl from douche bags via a series of sword dueling" and lots of roses, it's like a completely different direction XD

It should be noted though that Utena was created by Be-Papas, not just Chiho Saito. Be-Papas is composed of the Anime's staff (Kunihiko Ikuhara - director, Yoji Enokido - animator, Shinya Hasegawa - screenwriter, Yuichiro Oguro - planner, and Chiho Saito - Character Design and Manga).

So to me, I think the Anime is the true canon of Utena and the Manga was just Ms. Saito's vision
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2094

PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 pm

If there's one anime in the universe and above that I fear is not for me, it's Utena.

I have a veeeeeery low tolerance for crazy, 2deep4U symbolism and this show is the reigning queen of it (with the king being Evangelion). I would much rather a show hold my hand and explain everything to me than to leave me wondering what I watched and getting into arguments about what a girl turning into a car means. 

I watched Mawaru Penguindrum, and couldn't name a SINGLE thing I liked about it, so you can imagine how I feel about watching this one from the same creator. It's most likely much better written, but still.

Not to mention it deals with a lot of uncomfortable themes. To quote a tumblr reviewer...

Spoiler:

So yea, there's that.
Back to top Go down
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 1:30 pm

I think the meanest thing I've ever done is make my friends watch the Utena movie without any pretext for what they were getting into. (It was my 18th birthday party. its a general rule among my friends that birthday girl gets to pick what we watch) At the time I was hoping it would spark some interest (cuz hey, it worked for me)

they aren't interested in the series now, so it backfired. but their reactions were pretty priceless.
Back to top Go down
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
magical-pudding
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 473

PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Ooh, I just read the manga recently. I loved it. :) I haven't watched the anime, but I intend to at some point, since I've heard that it's much better than the manga.

I also want to watch the movie, mainly to see if there's any context behind the Adolescence story... I have the box set omnibus version of the manga, and when I got to that volume, I was very confused as to how it fit into the rest of the story. Though, from what I've heard about the movie, it's just as confusing so... I dunno, LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://magical-pudding.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Utena: Is this series good?   Utena: Is this series good? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Utena: Is this series good?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2