Magical Girl Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Girl Cafe

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» help regarding old forum
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 am

» Tokyo Mew Mew reboot anime series
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

» Magical Girl Fandom Rivalries
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

» Petite Princess Yucie/Puchi Puri Yuushi
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

» Tonde Buurin / Super Pig
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:52 pm

» Dragon Ball Super VS Sailor Moon Crystal
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

» What are you watching right now?
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:13 pm

» Otome Games
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm

» Anyone Actually Watching Crystal?
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am

» Sailor Moon Speedy dub
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 am

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 698

Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion   Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 pm

One of the biggest character arguments fan always seem to over analyze is Rei Hino's personality in the various canons and her outlook on men.

In Naoko's manga, Rei is seen as a stern shrine maiden who tries to be sensible and polite - but is no push over. In the main story line and side-stories, she's depicted as being very distrusting towards men and relationships. This contrasts with the other girls more enthusiastic boy-hunts (Minako, Makoto mostly, but Usagi can be like this as well).

in the Live-Action series, this is expanded on and is a little different, maybe even a little over-dramatic. But still doesn't deviate to far from her comic persona.

the verdict's still out on Sailor Moon Crystal's but it's obvious they're trying to mimic the manga version as well.

Then there's the 90's TV anime. Rei is still the stern shrine maiden, but she's much more ambitious and has alot of outer pride than her manga counterpart. She aims for the best and isn't afraid to let other people know she's there to conquer. (Here's an Example of what I mean)

Probably as a result of making the anime too soon to the manga's publication, Rei's distance with men is actually opposite and she shows just as much interest in dating (but only the best of course) as a majority of the inner senshi. She's also shown arguing with Usagi the most, Rei's "get sh*t done" mentality and Usagi's more flighty, carefree way of life causes alot of friction.

This of course upsets fans who really enjoyed Rei's manga chemistry with the other girls. While I do admit to liking Rei as the only of the 5 girls showing disdain with dating, I've grown to really like her Anime counterpart as well.

Junichi Sato (the director for season 1) is pretty good at making conflicting characters come together in the end -so I think out of 4 senshi, fiery Sailor Mars was just the girl he wanted to bring some conflict and shake up Usagi's world. By the end of the series, I'd argue that Sailor Mars is Usagi's best friend, they understand a lot about each other and have come to see the appeal of each other's mindsets. And I don't think Usagi would've grown into the person she ends up with if it weren't for Rei demanding more out of her.

I read the argument that Sailor Mars' anime personality is "less feminist" than her manga. But I think its just as feminist and empowering as ever. 

Like I said before, Rei wants it all and she'll fight to get it. If that includes a good boyfriend who'll treat her right then so be it, she never settles. 

There's a discussion in one of the SuperS episodes with the Amazoness Quartet that I really like that'll just sort of paraphrase:

"A career woman, really? So basically you'll just be working your entire life being a slave to others. you really want that?"

"To be a responsible adult you have to work hard and help others"

so yeah, I think Sailor Mars is pretty great in every version
Back to top Go down
http://kawaiibunny3.tumblr.com
Chopstickman
Love Interest
Chopstickman
Love Interest

Coffee Beans : 155

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion   Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 2:14 am

I was under the impression that her personality was altered to better fit the "5-man band" dynamic. It primarily consists of:

The Leader: Sailor Moon
The Strong One: Sailor Jupiter
The Small One: Sailor Mercury
The Rival/Cool One: Sailor Mars
The Chick: Sailor Venus

It works for almost everything that has a group of five main characters; Voltron, Ronin Warriors, Gatchaman, etc. When Precures come in groups of five they fit the dynamic as well.
Back to top Go down
Serenity Magica
Civilian
Serenity Magica
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 45

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion   Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:50 pm

While I personally prefer manga Rei to her anime version, I disagree with the idea that her manga personality is more feminist.

Many feminists get angry that female characters are written one dimensionally.  Often times, they don't feel like real people, just plot devices and archetypes.  The anime did a wonderful job of making her a more fleshed out character.  She can be strong and independent while still enjoying dating.

That being said, I do get sick of some of the boy craziness in the anime 
Back to top Go down
Princess Serenity
Civilian
Princess Serenity
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 7

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion   Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 2:54 am

I love both versions of Rei... however, I'm more bias towards the 90's anime, first growing up with the terrible dub as a kid, and then rewatching it in Japanese and coming to adore and love it more than the other TV adaptions.

I love her strong, independant assertiveness and go-getter attitudes in both versions, and I think she may be the most feminist character out of the series, Minako becoming a close second with her leadership and her dutiful attitude as a senshi.

Crystal has made her personality very bland, though. 
Like what's been mentioned, I think the 90's anime does a much better job at fleshing out characters and at character development. I love the fact that she still has the 'fire of mars' despite it all, too.

Also, in comment to the Usagi/Rei relationship, I would go as far as to say they are best friends in the anime, and understand and rely on each other in ways that the other senshi/characters don't. 

.... But, then again, I ship Usagi and Rei. Like OTP<3 And, (I heard that) Junichi Sato had a lot to do with that being director, I must add. XD
Back to top Go down
http://lunar-eclipse.boards.net/
Hlove
Civilian
Hlove
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 101

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion   Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 12:54 pm

I think Rei is the most misunderstood character in the story, no matter the version.
Rei for me is a character to admire, for her strong independent personality, and the straightforwardness.
A true role model.
Her relationship with Usagi, I find it to be the strongest amongst the warriors, and Rei cares for Usagi more than anyone. Of course having a strong personality you end up bickering a lot with another strong personality.
The classic anime had 200 episodes to explore her character, and the relationship between her and Usagi and develop it to the beauty that it is :)

The PGSM as well developed her character excellently, Keikochan did a great job impersonating her, and that Rei-Minako ship sailed like no other :D (hints from the manga made the outcome obvious)
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~hoshirabu
Sakuranbo
Best Friend

Best Friend

Coffee Beans : 142

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion   Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 12:06 pm

I agree that Sailor Mars is amazing in every version of Sailor Moon. The 90s Anime Sailor Mars is my favorite version of her because her character is very well developed and she's more relatable too than her Manga/Crystal counterpart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion   Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Sailor Mars/Rei Hino: Character Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1