Magical Girl Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Girl Cafe

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» help regarding old forum
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 am

» Tokyo Mew Mew reboot anime series
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

» Magical Girl Fandom Rivalries
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

» Petite Princess Yucie/Puchi Puri Yuushi
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

» Tonde Buurin / Super Pig
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:52 pm

» Dragon Ball Super VS Sailor Moon Crystal
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

» What are you watching right now?
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:13 pm

» Otome Games
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm

» Anyone Actually Watching Crystal?
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am

» Sailor Moon Speedy dub
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 am

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Beat
Hostess
Beat
Hostess

Coffee Beans : 715

Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Empty
PostSubject: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 1:53 am

Tokimeki tonight(ときめきトゥナイ, lit. "Exciting/Throbbing tonight") is a Japanese manga series by Koi Ikeno. It was serialized in Shueisha's manga magazine Ribon from July 1982 to October 1994. An anime television series directed Hiroshi Sasagawa was adapted from the manga and was broadcast on NTV from October 7, 1982 to September 22, 1983.
Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Thumbnail
Plot:

Ranze Eto lives in an isolated castle in Japan with her werewolf mother, vampire father, and younger brother, Rinze. Despite her lineage, she has yet to demonstrate any special powers of her own, and her parents are worried she might be a normal girl. One day, Ranze's innate power finally manifests itself when she, quite by accident, discovers that she can change herself into a carbon copy of any object she bites, whether it be a person or an inanimate object like a piece of bread, and can return to her normal self only by sneezing. Her parents are overjoyed, but Ranze's new powers make it difficult to continue living life as a normal teenage girl.

On Ranze's first day at her new school, she meets and falls in love with the brash yet handsome young athlete, Shun Makabe. The chief problem with this is that Ranze's parents will not allow her to date a human - although there may be much more to Shun than meets the eye. On top of this, she also has a bitter rival in the pretty but spiteful Yoko Kamiya (the daughter of a yakuza boss) who also likes Shun and doesn't take kindly to Ranze's intruding on her turf.
......................................................................................................
Kind of an original concept if you ask me, using creatures of the night, their realm and such. The interesting thing about this one is that its anime ended YEARS before its manga, and they had to think about an original ending. Goes to show that you don't need to fill an anime with junk to catch up to the manga. Anyway, In good opinion it does not look bad and refreshing in all ways. Though the mom...shows a "bit" of domestic violence...kinda feel bad for dad.

Youtube, it is being done by Saitei subs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5I8Eb5RBUg
Back to top Go down
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 698

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 8:39 am

I've seen and read a bit of this, but an online friend of mine is a big fan. I'd like to see more since it's being subbed once my backlog dies down a bit
Back to top Go down
http://kawaiibunny3.tumblr.com
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

Coffee Beans : 13009

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 3:47 pm

This reminds me of Chibi Vampire! But this one seems more unique. I'll give this a try.
Back to top Go down
https://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 9:50 pm

I watched the first episode last night. It's really cute. The animation is a hit or miss. Sometimes it looks really great and other times it's meh. There was an awkward scene when Yoko confronted Ranze in the bathroom.  Yoko was outside talking to her dad then she went back inside her and Ranze were in the bathroom (?). I don't know the two scenes didn't flow well. But hey it's an anime from the early 80s. The opening and ending are pleasant to listen to. I'm going to watch more.
Back to top Go down
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
magical-pudding
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 473

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Mew Ami wrote:
This reminds me of Chibi Vampire! But this one seems more unique. I'll give this a try.

Holy crap, you're right! From what Beat wrote, it sounds practically identical -- just more kid-friendly.

I'm definitely going to have to check this out now. I loved Chibi Vampire, both the anime and the manga, so a magical girl version of that sounds absolutely awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://magical-pudding.tumblr.com
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
magical-pudding
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Okay, so I watched the first two episodes of this! My thoughts so far?

It's not perfect, but overall, I enjoyed it! I loved the art style, especially the way the backgrounds were flat colored. It really gives a 60's/picture book feel.

I found it really amusing how Ranze just instantly fell in love with Makabe. There was no buildup for it whatsoever. I mean, I guess I wasn't really expecting anything better, but it was literally just BAM! Instant love. At first I was expecting it to be just a passing fancy, but by the end of the first episode she was declaring that he was the only boy for her, and by the second episode, she was willing to change her species just to be with him... I don't know, it's just funny.

Yoko's dad really creeps me out, and not just in design. (When I first saw him on the poster in the OP, I thought he was one of the monsters!) The way he talks to Yoko is unsettling. But he's a yakuza boss, so I guess creepy was the intention.

The only thing about this that really bothered me is Ranze's mother. Even though she's played entirely for laughs, I found the domestic abuse to be alarming. And it's kind of annoying, because I just know that this never would've been allowed if it was the father acting like that, and not the mother. But honestly, it's so over the top that I can't get too mad about it.

I'm going to see if I can watch more of this -- I'm really bad about finishing anime, but I'm going to try. Almost all of the episodes are subbed, which gives me hope that this one will actually get finished!

Oh, and on an unrelated note... I wish the manga was fully scanlated. I was so excited when I saw that six volumes were done -- that's way more than most old series! -- only to find out that there were 30! Shock Oh, well.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:44 pm

It was a common gag back then for the wife to beat up her husband. XD
Back to top Go down
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
magical-pudding
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Mew Ami wrote:
It was a common gag back then for the wife to beat up her husband. XD

Yup, yup. Which is why it doesn't bother me as much as it could. I think I just wasn't expecting it -- I went into this comparing it to Chibi Vampire, where Karin's mom always hit her dad with a slipper and yelled at him. But here, Ranze's mom was breaking stuff and getting really violent, and I was like WHOAH, what the heck??? Laugh I'm not used to 80's anime in general -- before recently, the oldest thing I had ever watched was Sailor Moon.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 8:00 pm

OH. XD

It didn't surprise me at all. What's funny that it doesn't bother their kids. XD
Back to top Go down
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
magical-pudding
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 8:08 pm

I also think this was done to level the playing field between the parents a bit... Her dad looks way older than her mom, so if she was meek and submissive there would probably be some unfortunate implications there.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 8:09 pm

I don't know. I really don't think too deep into things like this when I watch shows.
Back to top Go down
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
magical-pudding
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 8:12 pm

Neither do I, usually. It was just a random thought I had. Laugh
Back to top Go down
Sakuranbo
Best Friend

Best Friend

Coffee Beans : 142

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) EmptyWed Sep 29, 2021 3:16 pm

I love Tokimeki Tonight and I have seen all of the episodes of the series too! It would be nice if the manga is translated into English though and I would love for Tokimeki Tonight to get a reboot anime series with a proper ending since it really needs one, especially since the series has been popular for 30-40 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)   Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ) Empty

Back to top Go down

Tokimeki Tonight(ときめきトゥナイ)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1