Magical Girl Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Girl Cafe

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» help regarding old forum
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 am

» Tokyo Mew Mew reboot anime series
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

» Magical Girl Fandom Rivalries
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

» Petite Princess Yucie/Puchi Puri Yuushi
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

» Tonde Buurin / Super Pig
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:52 pm

» Dragon Ball Super VS Sailor Moon Crystal
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

» What are you watching right now?
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:13 pm

» Otome Games
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm

» Anyone Actually Watching Crystal?
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am

» Sailor Moon Speedy dub
PMMM Noob here Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 am

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

PMMM Noob here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

Coffee Beans : 11249

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 1:08 am

So there are a few episodes on Netflix and I can't ( i mean that) can't really stand to watch a subbed for long. ( I have really bad eyes and it hurts me) but none the less i've been trying to watch what's up on netflix.

I have to say that i'm like 6 episodes in a totally lost. How is the main character the one who's name is in the title not a magical girl? what else is there that I'm not catching? I know i need to watch the rest of what I can but really this seems kind of boring. I mean i watch MG shows to see girls in cute outfits kick but and while that's happening yea, these girls seem to suffer from bipolar disorder or something. the blue haired one seemed to have gone totally nuts, really i mean crazy, that the others seems to have their heads to far up their butts to care much, but for that one with the long dark hair, yeah she's shifty but she seems to mean well. 

I'm not sure what's going to happen from here, at least that's something. I like to be kept guessing. well in to the netflix i go to see if i can't get in an episode before my sister comes home. 

I might post my thoughts as i go, just to be fun. 

If you like this show and I offend i mean not to. My sorry!
Back to top Go down
http://moonkingdomforums.forumotion.com/forum
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

Coffee Beans : 13009

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 1:15 am

LOL

That's the whole point of this show. Magical girls in despair. I really don't get why people like watching magical girls suffer. I think it's against the theme of the genre....
Back to top Go down
https://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2094

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 1:17 am

There should only be twelve episodes in the entire show. If you're on episode 6 and you're halfway there.

The entire idea of this anime is to mislead the viewers. When the first promo was released, no one knew how dark the show was supposed to be, and they specifically promoted the title character as being a magical girl. Come episode 3 a girl gets her head bitten off and the whole world went from "This such stupid generic magical girl crap" to "OMG THIS IS SO AMAZING! BEST ANIME EVER!"

So yea, you're not missing anything. This show lives on deceiving the viewers and trying to pull shock value stunts at every opportunity. 

If you're looking for magical girls being empowered and courageous you're watching the wrong anime. This one's all about young girls being made to suffer and cry in a world that's so miserable and cynical.
Back to top Go down
SquadmemberRitsu
Best Friend
SquadmemberRitsu
Best Friend

Coffee Beans : 159

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 7:22 am

It's a fantastic series but there are several things you should keep in mind.

First off, the show is not centered around Madoka fighting as a magical girl. If the main thing that's going through your head watching it is 'When is Madoka going to become a magical girl?' I don't reccomend keeping that sort of mindframe throughout the entirety of the show. You'll just end up getting confused if you think too much about it and by the time you realise the show has other plans you'll be completely lost.

Second, do not think of it as you would any other magical girl series. Instead, take it for what it is and think about the show's individual merits. Otherwise you won't have a very fun time with the series. I'm not usually one for the dark and edgy stuff but as long as it's well written and the series isn't shoving objectionable content down my throat without any ryhme or reason I can appreciate what it's going for.  There's a reason why I can watch Madoka over and over again despite barely being able to make it through one episode of a show like Akame ga Kill. Simply put, Madoka is good and Akame... let's just say it isn't the best show out there in terms of writing.

I'd say a bit more but it's near imposible to talk about the series in depth without spoiling the entire thing.
Back to top Go down
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 am

OK so I finished the show and I have to say I ended up enjoying it. I liked how it ended over all and it's not like this huge cliff hanger or anything really. I do have questions about things like how they purify the soul gems now that they don't collect the seeds, and if we have Wraiths now instead of witches, what would be the point of making magical girls if they can't collect the energy of the girls when they become witches? ( Did i get that right?) but yeah this was over all enjoyable. 

I had in fact given up on "when will so and so become a magical girl?" early on, it became clear after the first episode that it wasn't really about the pink one, but the dark haired one. (Ed is bad with names ok? Sorry) but still I think I'm going to have to rematch this I feel like I missed a lot and there is so much going on that I bet it's easy to miss stuff the first time through.
Back to top Go down
Serenity Magica
Civilian
Serenity Magica
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 45

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 1:57 pm

I understand why a lot of MG fans hate this show. It really does not follow the typical format whatsoever, and makes a point of doing the opposite. I mostly like that show because I enjoy tragedies.

I remember being pretty confused the first time I watched PMMM. Ittook me a while to give up on Madoka becoming a magical girl. 

Now you can watch the movie and be confused all over again!
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Serenity Magica wrote:
I understand why a lot of MG fans hate this show. It really does not follow the typical format whatsoever, and makes a point of doing the opposite. I mostly like that show because I enjoy tragedies.

I'd like it more if "not following the typical format" could be done outside of "Make everything as horrifically dark, tragic and miserable as possible". Princess Tutu did the dark in a way that I liked, but Madoka took it too far. Not finding any of the PMMM characters likable or interesting is another breaking factor for me.
Back to top Go down
SquadmemberRitsu
Best Friend
SquadmemberRitsu
Best Friend

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 4:08 am

Princess Tutu is still very much a Magical Girl series even if it's darker than the norm. Madoka is much better described as Dark Fantasy or Tragedy as Serenity said much like Urobuchi's other work Fate/Zero. There's just no comparison between Madoka and Princess Tutu or pretty much any Magical Girl series for that matter.

If you're going to criticise something don't just do it because the show doesn't fall in line with your personal tastes and pass it off as a legitimate complaint. That's no better than the people who call shows like Cardcaptor Sakura 'childish crap' because it's not like Madoka. Consider what the series was going for and judge it on how well it achieved that goal. Because for what they are, Madoka and Fate/Zero are about as good as it gets.
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 4:34 am

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
If you're going to criticise something don't just do it because the show doesn't fall in line with your personal tastes and pass it off as a legitimate complaint. 

Actually I was doing exactly the opposite. I was explaining why the show doesn't fall in line with my personal tastes. I haven't said anything about that show that could be considered a legitimate fault. I just said it's wholly unappealing to me from an enjoyment standpoint.
Back to top Go down
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 5:45 am

Wait there's a movie? I didn't know that going into this. where does one find this? Is it dubbed? (Ed doesnt' read subs unless she has to and there is no way she'll get through a subbed movie) 

I'm going to try watching Madoka all the way through, last time i had to start and stop cause of family.
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:09 am

There are three movies. None of them are dubbed.

The first two are a recap of the TV series you just watched, condensed into a pair of two hour movies. So twelve episodes would be condensed to 8 episodes. I felt the voice acting was greatly improved compared to the TV series, but since you watched that dubbed it doesn't make a difference. They also cut out some important scenes like the dream in the first episode and Mami's development, in exchange for unnecessary things like scenes of running water and a lengthy pan through a graveyard.

The third movie, Rebellion Story, is a completely original story, a continuation of the TV series, and again, there is no dub. You can find it on places like Nyaa, if you do torrents. Otherwise I'm sure there are sites like GoGo anime you can watch it on.
Back to top Go down
SquadmemberRitsu
Best Friend
SquadmemberRitsu
Best Friend

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 11:01 am

RLinksoul wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
If you're going to criticise something don't just do it because the show doesn't fall in line with your personal tastes and pass it off as a legitimate complaint. 

Actually I was doing exactly the opposite. I was explaining why the show doesn't fall in line with my personal tastes. I haven't said anything about that show that could be considered a legitimate fault. I just said it's wholly unappealing to me from an enjoyment standpoint.
Oh, okay. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

@chat

Rebellion (Movie 3) is currently sub only but Movie 1 and 2 have been dubbed. Actually, it's a good thing you've seen the show dubbed because that's probably the only thing about the recap movies which I'd say is a notable improvement over the series.

The tone of certain lines have been altered (Mostly for the better), Cristina Vee's performance as Homura is vastly different and arguably even better than in the show, Lauren Landa's Kyouko is a bit less salty and generally there's more emotion in performances both minor and major. I actually prefer Kyouko in the series but Vee really outdid herself (Literally) and most of the changes are for the better.

The animation is an improvement over the series and there's a few cool new scenes but the removal of Mami's backstory along with some awkward pacing in both movies puts it a great deal below the series in my eyes. Normally I wouldn't recommend seeing the first two movies more than once but the improved English Dub actually gives it a good amount of re-watch value.

As for when Rebellion will be dubbed it's hard to say but odds are it'll be some time next year. In the mean time, I highly recommend re-watching the series at least once or twice.
Back to top Go down
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 5:14 pm

oh wow thanks guys! I'll look into them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PMMM Noob here Empty
PostSubject: Re: PMMM Noob here   PMMM Noob here Empty

Back to top Go down

PMMM Noob here

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1