Magical Girl Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Girl Cafe

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» help regarding old forum
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 am

» Tokyo Mew Mew reboot anime series
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

» Magical Girl Fandom Rivalries
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

» Petite Princess Yucie/Puchi Puri Yuushi
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

» Tonde Buurin / Super Pig
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:52 pm

» Dragon Ball Super VS Sailor Moon Crystal
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

» What are you watching right now?
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:13 pm

» Otome Games
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm

» Anyone Actually Watching Crystal?
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am

» Sailor Moon Speedy dub
Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 am

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2094

Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Empty
PostSubject: Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino   Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Tumblr_mp2l37mgOx1s2b3pko1_r1_500

In celebration the birthday of our genre's matron saint, it's time for another edition of Character Discussion!

I myself won't have as much to say about her since my experience is limited to a few filler DUB episodes, some of the movies and the manga.

First and foremost... I will never be able to remove her dub voice from my mind.

People can complain all they want about how high pitched Kotono's voice is, but compared to THIS, I'd take Kotono any day.

In fact I'm pretty sure they rotated at least three different voice actresses in, but that one from above is just so... dizzy sounding.

Before Madoka flooded your screen with tears, Usagi was pretty infamous for crying a lot, and in any of those voices I can understand. I don't know it if makes it better or worse that she actually had the power to do something. Either way she was understandably afraid, but as the series goes on she grows stronger and more courageous.

Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Tumblr_n6s36egkJi1qjkedbo3_500

As one awesome tumblr person pointed out, there seems to have been a great deal of emphasis on Usagi and Sailor Moon being considered separate identities at first. By HER. She doesn't consider herself to be Sailor Moon. Rather than reiterate what the post said I'll just leave it at that.

One of the most controversial things about Usagi involves her figure. She was intended to be a bit on the overweight side, despite her figure in no way showing it. That combined with an infamous dieting episode and you have a fresh batch of tumblr grade rage. Supposedly Naoko was quoted as saying she could never imagine an overweight Sailor Senshi, but then why not just claim Usagi is skinny?

I've never found Magical Girl protagonists to be relate-able to me, but I can definitely feel for Usagi's desire to just spend all day eating good stuff and hanging out at the arcade. 

I would say it's irony that her name would be Usagi and one of the things she dislikes most is carrots, but real rabbits don't even eat carrots as much as Bugs Bunny makes it seem. A dislike of vegetables does fit in well with her "lazy, relate-able protagonist" thing.

One of the things that bugged me about Nostalgia Critic's review of Sailor Moon is that he only watched a few of the early episodes of the show, then tried to question what this show's influence in the world is. Usagi herself, as a symbol of female empowerment, doesn't come into that status until AT LEAST late into the first season.

The thing about Magical Girl shows however is that they're typically coming of age stories, and we can see it here. The Usagi we see at the very end of the show is much different from the one at the beginning. Through her experiences she has matured, blossomed into a courageous young woman.
Back to top Go down
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 698

PostSubject: Re: Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino   Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 7:16 pm

For the Usagi=fat thing I just sort of brush over - it's just a cheap and easy to make fat joke because she likes to eat alot. 

Also, manga Usagi isn't seen chowing down nearly as much as anime Usagi. most of the fat jokes stem from that, honestly I don't think one person can be blamed for that issue.

Having so many iterations and different directors interpretation of Usagi (Naoko, Junichi Sato, Kunihiko Ikuhara, Takuya Igurashi, Ryuta Tasaki, DiC, Cloverway, and now Munehisa Sakai) its almost kindof hard to discuss her without comparing them all.

I think live action Usagi is my favorite Usagi. She's sweet and sincere but still just a goofy teen who just wants to have fun

(i have more to say but i have to get back to work, brb)
Back to top Go down
http://kawaiibunny3.tumblr.com
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2094

PostSubject: Re: Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino   Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 12:15 pm

BunnyBelle wrote:

Little did we know that when BunnyBelle left for work, she would never return... And every night I go out onto the balcony and gaze at the ocean, hoping that some day she might return again...

Anyway, I'm probably off base here considering I've never really watched the anime, but I feel like a thought has occurred to me about Usagi's Angel form.

I know her being naked during the final battle is meant to represent her purity and innocence, but I can't help but get a different impression on top of that.

As I mentioned in the first post, there was an emphasis on the dual nature of Usagi and Sailor Moon, that she doesn't identify as a hero.

Then comes the finale, where Usagi's character has grown to the point that she is every bit as mature out of costume as she is in. She might feel that it is because of HER that she can accomplish all of these things, rather than simply because she can become Sailor Moon.

So to have the her in the final battle not even wearing her tiara, it really drives home the idea that Usagi is the heroic one, and that she fully accepts herself and all that she has become. Our hero is the girl underneath the costume and the tiara, rather than the soldier in the sailor uniform.
Back to top Go down
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl
BunnyBelle
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 698

PostSubject: Re: Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino   Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:34 pm

RLinksoul wrote:
BunnyBelle wrote:

Little did we know that when BunnyBelle left for work, she would never return... And every night I go out onto the balcony and gaze at the ocean, hoping that some day she might return again...

*Busts open door, sopping wet, covered in battle scars, and a saddle bad filled with paperwork* I've returned, what's for dinner?

no but seriously, i forgot what i was going to say when I got home so I just left it XD

that was a pretty good analysis of the nude battle, Link. (fun fact, that episode was cut from the italian broadcast, so fans had to settle with an audio CD of the dialogue-ah life before high-speed internet)
Back to top Go down
http://kawaiibunny3.tumblr.com
Tiffany94
Civilian
Tiffany94
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 7

PostSubject: Re: Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino   Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 8:25 am

I always think she can be really funny and she can be a good fighter despite of her flaws, but I actually prefer Minako, Ami, and Makoto over Usagi. Manga version of Usagi is somewhat better than the anime version of Usagi to me.
Back to top Go down
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
magical-pudding
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 473

PostSubject: Re: Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino   Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 2:18 pm

I used to be pretty indifferent towards Usagi. Like, I liked her well enough as a protagonist, but I preferred the other senshi to her.

But as of recently, that's changed. I really love Usagi now, and she's one of my top three favorites. I'm not sure what made me change my mind about her. But I love her now.

My favorite version of her is PGSM. I think a large part of that is actually because of her voice. I never liked her voice in the Japanese anime, and her dub voices were awful, especially in the Cloverway portion. I haven't watched enough of the Viz dub to give an opinion on that. But her actress sounded really nice in PGSM.

The 90's anime is my second favorite. In the past, I would've said that it was the manga that was my second favorite, but... Crystal is kind of starting to make me rethink my opinion on manga!Usagi. Which brings me to Crystal -- I really don't like her much at all there. She focuses way too much on Mamoru, and not enough on...well, everything else, really.

But that aside, Usagi is awesome and she's one of my favorites. Nyaa
Back to top Go down
http://magical-pudding.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino   Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino Empty

Back to top Go down

Character Discussion - Usagi Tsukino

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1