Magical Girl Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Girl Cafe

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» help regarding old forum
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 am

» Tokyo Mew Mew reboot anime series
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

» Magical Girl Fandom Rivalries
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

» Petite Princess Yucie/Puchi Puri Yuushi
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

» Tonde Buurin / Super Pig
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:52 pm

» Dragon Ball Super VS Sailor Moon Crystal
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

» What are you watching right now?
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:13 pm

» Otome Games
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm

» Anyone Actually Watching Crystal?
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am

» Sailor Moon Speedy dub
When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 am

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2094

When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Empty
PostSubject: When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume)   When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm

http://magicalgirlfanproblems.tumblr.com/post/82828727642/when-the-characters-hair-and-eyes-are-the-same

I saw this fan problem today and I was like "I KNOW RIGHT?" I mean character designs are a pretty minor gripe, but it would be nice to get some more creative combinations of hair and eye colors.

Instead it just seems like the creators were like "We'll make this one the pink one. This one's the yellow one" and just threw that specific color all over them.

With Precure I get it because each Cure is in fact designated a specific color (Except for Splash Star, and Cure Sunny is confusing). But it would be nice if they did a season with multiple cures and each one didn't adhere to a specific color.

Of course even without the costume, this kind of thing is prevalent in magical girl shows as old as old can be.

When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Tumblr_n3s78wWXYl1reytm5o2_500

Having a costume that matches is less common.

What's your opinion on this? Do you think having the color schemes of magical girls so singular is lazy? Does it give them a good color motif?
Back to top Go down
Chopstickman
Love Interest
Chopstickman
Love Interest

Coffee Beans : 155

PostSubject: Re: When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume)   When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 pm

I don't really see it as a problem. As long as the colors are not the exact same shade you still get some visual differentiation. Characters are color coded, especially for anime meant for younger audiences, as a form of "instant recognition" so the viewer knows what to expect from a given character.
Back to top Go down
Twinkle Bloomish
Civilian
Twinkle Bloomish
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 9

PostSubject: Re: When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume)   When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 5:12 pm

RLinksoul wrote:

I mean character designs are a pretty minor gripe, but it would be nice to get some more creative combinations of hair and eye colors.

I wouldn't really say that. If the character designs are boring, it means the show as a whole is less enjoyable (or less interesting, maybe) to look at, and that in turn weakens the show as a whole.

Though I'm not sure having characters have the same color hair and eyes is really a problem in the first place. For something like Precure, where half the time the characters really actually are entirely one color, it's pretty boring, but if there are other colors that appear on their design somewhere (or at least if it's not the entire cast that is single-colored) then it's just a way to make the character's design more unified, I guess.

Even in shows for older audiences, and even actually in shows where character designs aren't actually based around just one color, it's pretty common to have an "image color" for each character that is associated with them somehow as a form of visual shorthand, to ensure consistency across different character goods, etc. and giving characters the same hair and eye color (and costume color) is just an extension of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume)   When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume) Empty

Back to top Go down

When the Curtains Match The Windows (and the costume)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1