Magical Girl Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Girl Cafe

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» help regarding old forum
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 am

» Tokyo Mew Mew reboot anime series
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

» Magical Girl Fandom Rivalries
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Dr.Yuri_Taeko Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:05 pm

» Petite Princess Yucie/Puchi Puri Yuushi
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

» Tonde Buurin / Super Pig
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:52 pm

» Dragon Ball Super VS Sailor Moon Crystal
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

» What are you watching right now?
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:13 pm

» Otome Games
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 pm

» Anyone Actually Watching Crystal?
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am

» Sailor Moon Speedy dub
Feeling alienated by modern games Emptyby Sakuranbo Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:08 am

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 288 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

Feeling alienated by modern games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ToriJ
Civilian
ToriJ
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 576

Feeling alienated by modern games Empty
PostSubject: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 4:48 am

Either from the fact that the gaming industry is an ever changing beast, or a product of growing up, but lately I've felt really alienated towards most games in the last couple of years. Forgive me as I begin to sound like your grandpa.

Back in the day it just felt like you had a truck load of games to choose from between Nintendo, Sega and PlayStation. Atari was still around but I never had an Atari system sadly. Then there was the arcade that would have games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, X-Men, Gauntlet Legends (does anyone remember Gauntlet Legends?), Mortal Kombat, etc. etc. Back then the genres that was really popular were platformers and RPGs. We also had a lot of good action, adventure, action-adventure, fighting and survivor horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. And stealth games like Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu. FPS games were more rare back then and most of the ones I played qualified more as rail shooters where you just went from point to point and shot things that appeared on the screen.

I'm not knocking current games. I was just blown away by Darksiders fairly recently and that qualifies as a current gen game. There just isn't a lot on the market that appeals to me anymore or leaps out at me like the next big thing. Exclusives don't stand out like they used to with the exception of Nintendo, but Nintendo has always had better known exclusives than the other platforms. And I couldn't care less about some of the recent stuff that are used in games now. Online? I don't play games to play online. I'm anti-social as all hell on the occasion I play an MMO. I'd rather play a traditional single-player or mulitplayer game. Thus the feeling of alienation. Has anyone else ever felt this way or am I on my own?

tl;dr: I'm old. Time to retire.
Back to top Go down
http://torijreviews.blogspot.com/
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
RLinksoul
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2094

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 5:02 pm

My tastes in video games are too particular to really have an opinion on this, but from what I do play, I do feel the games were better in the old days.

Sonic especially. I used to be a huge Sonic fan. I especially loved Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles. Sometimes I feel like the recent games, like Sonic Rush, are putting so much emphasis on speed that they've taken away the elements that made the series fun. I liked to explore my surroundings, not blaze through stages at a speed too fast for said stages to be memorable, pulling off tricks that destroyed the R buttons of two of my DS systems.

Mario has fared pretty well over the years, but once again nostalgia wins. I don't know what it is about classic titles like Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, but attempts to recapture the spirit of them, like New Super Mario Bros, just don't compare.

I'm starting to wonder if the reason I haven't been enjoying recent Pokemon games is either because the formula has gotten stagnant or because I don't have people around me in real life to play it with anymore. 

When Ruby and Sapphire first came out I was blown away by all of the visual and gameplay improvements. Concepts like growing/watering your own berries, seeing the reflections of the player and the clouds in puddles of water, and thunderstorms on routes... just amazing. 

The leap from GBC to GBA was such a grand one, that until X and Y came out I didn't think there was all that much to improve on in later titles.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

Coffee Beans : 13009

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 5:42 pm

I tend to feel alienated too because I'm a Nintendo gamer. Most "gamers" today either have a playstation or an Xbox. And they belittle you if you still love Nintendo or play causal games. It's stupid because we are all gamers and the community should embrace all the different types.
Back to top Go down
https://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

Coffee Beans : 11249

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:04 pm

I have a Wii! I'm not a casual gamer and I know it. I'm going into the game industry for a living soon. I dont play MMO's or even mullet-player, the only exception as of late has been the beta of the new ff mmo and Journey. I really like journey and I like the experience (PLAY IT!) It was once said to me that you dont have to play at tournaments or have all the achievements to be a gamer. If you play a game and enjoy it that's what makes you a gamer. I know I am not the average gamer, I play Betas i play harder or longer games I've been with Final Fantasy for a long time, and I feel that cause i haven't played the mmo's like Tori I dont really play well with others and WOW is the reason I failed college the first time.

We are gamers and i have class so later.
Back to top Go down
http://moonkingdomforums.forumotion.com/forum
ToriJ
Civilian
ToriJ
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Mew Ami wrote:
I tend to feel alienated too because I'm a Nintendo gamer. Most "gamers" today either have a playstation or an Xbox. And they belittle you if you still love Nintendo or play causal games. It's stupid because we are all gamers and the community should embrace all the different types.
I'll bet you ten bucks right now that those people who belittle you for liking Nintendo all had a Nintendo console growing up. Nintendo is the reason we have a lot of the games we do today and it's silly to act like it's inferior when it has a trademark in Mario that is more well recognized than Mickey Mouse.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah! I guess they view if for kids like during the days of SNES and Sega Gensis.
Back to top Go down
ToriJ
Civilian
ToriJ
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:52 pm

I remember that. Some would have SNES at home but wouldn't fess up to it when asked :P Which I find funny because the SNES had a lot of classic titles that still stand out today when compared to its main competitor. And I say this as a pretty big fan of the Genesis myself >.>
Back to top Go down
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 9:29 pm

I love all games. game consoles(But Xbox 360) and I love all gamers!! I never understood what it mattered what you played or what difficultly you played on, if you game you're a gamer and that's all that should matter.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Reviving this topic!

So I watched a two videos of people of unboxing the PS4:

One I watched all the way through and the other I didnt. The reason for the other because it was like over 30 minutes long and I was like hell no! XD

The one I watched completely:

By the way more people should watch the Kwings! They arent snobby like most youtuber gamers are! The channel belongs to a couple known as Kwing and Kwife. They are awesome and their LPs are fun to watch!

Anywho! A lot people were knocking Kwing for his comments for the PS4. First off it was just an unboxing. He's going to do a review later.

The reason I'm posting it is because of the comments (The same goes for the the comments I read from the other video). What has happened to people these days? A lot people knocking the other next gen consoles and such.To do this day why does it matter what system we are playing our games on?

My next big complaint with the PS4 (and probably Xbox 1) are the graphics. I saw the Kwings stream a PS4 game (Sony blocked people from recording gameplay) and I'm like what's the big deal? It looks like a PS3 game. Yeah it looks shinier and that's about it. With the Wii U you see the difference between Wii and the Wii U. Seeing how Wii wasnt an HD system. But still! Plus Nintendo always does a nice job making their games shine with bright and colorful graphics. I really dont get why graphics make a game. What happen to becoming one with the game and enjoying its gameplay and story?
Back to top Go down
Miakemi
Magical Girl
Miakemi
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2819

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 pm

There's a very vocal minority (I hope it's a minority...) of fanboys/girls for all the consoles.  They're the ones that sit there and bash everything about any console that is not their chosen system.  I don't think people like that were as prevalent in our generation of gamers.  Either that, or the internet was still too young for there to be console bashing.  It's sad, really.  Gaming would be much more fun if there weren't people out bashing others for liking certain systems or for not being "real gamers" because they like casual games.

On the graphics note, I'm hoping graphics will reach a point where the human eye cannot perceive a difference between one generation and the next.  At that point, gameplay and story can go back to being the main factors of whether or not people think a game is any good.  I think we're getting close.  Like you said, the PS3 and PS4 graphics aren't really too different.  Hopefully, Nintendo can gain back some reputation if this ever happens.  I hate how people don't even consider the Wii U part of this generation, just because its specs are a little lower than the other consoles.  It's still a good system.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Omg yes the Wii U is a good system! It has a lot to offer! I saw this video on the recommended bar, but didnt watch it. It was the 5 worst tech gifts and it said the Wii U on it. I was like what the hell? How is the Wii U bad? Nintendo has the best first party games. They're characters stick around for the most part and theyre always fun to play. At least Nintendo doesnt care about the graphics...
Back to top Go down
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 pm

Hey it's just coming out. the graphics are gonna look like ps3 games cause the game developers aren't caught up with the new system yet. it will take a while to get there. I have a reason not to like Xbox it's personal really it is and honestly has nothing to do with the system. It's a good system At least the 360 i've heard too many bad things about Xbox one for my tastes.
Back to top Go down
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner
Mew Ami
Cafe Owner

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Th Xbox one *shutters*
Back to top Go down
ToriJ
Civilian
ToriJ
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 2:43 am

Or it could have something to do with all the games out for it at the moment also being available for the PS3 and Xbox 360, just saying.

I don't think the console bashing is anything new, though. Nintendo and Sega went head to head back in the day and older boys wouldn't fess up to owning a Super Nintendo because it was considered a kiddie console. We just notice it more now because places like Facebook and YouTube are filled with idiots who will bicker over the dumbest crap possible.

On an unrelated note, Utena's new avatar makes me want to travel across eight words and battle a fire breathing dragon.
Back to top Go down
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat
Chat de la Lune
Cafe Cat

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 3:49 pm

I do think console bashing is stupid. I used to sell video games and I did my best never to let my person dislike for the 360 get in the way of sales, it's not something that happens all that often and tori is right about the games right now being for PS3 and 360, the game developers haven't caught up yet. There will be several games that will be coming on both the current and new gen consoles and when that happens the current gen is pushed to it's limits on graphics and the new gen isnt. But this time there are releases like !880- The Order that's really pushing the limit and they are not duel releasing that makes a huge difference. And Mia has a point lately it's been all about the graphics but I think you might not be looking for the right games. I dont know what you play and I dont know what if any consoles you own, but there are some visually amazing games out there that have great storylines. I only picked up the AC series a year or so ago but I can tell you that these games are visually stunning but they also have a deep storyline spanning 6 games so far and I hope I really hope there are many more. If they dont tie this plot of theirs up, I'll ask Tori to beat them up instead of a fire breathing dragon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeling alienated by modern games   Feeling alienated by modern games Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeling alienated by modern games

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1