Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» Magical Girls: The unprotected dimension
by sailorpandabear Today at 7:36 am

» Miraculous Ladybug: Broken Bonds (Part 2)
by Mew Ami Yesterday at 1:33 am

» To Catch A Thief
by Mew Ami Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:15 pm

» Conflicting Emotions
by Mew Ami Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 pm

» Miraculous Ladybug
by Mew Ami Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 pm

» Check out my tumblr account!
by jurirenee2015 Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:49 am

» Pokemon: Sun and Moon
by magical-pudding Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm

» What are you watching right now?
by sailorpandabear Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:54 pm

» Pokemon!
by magical-pudding Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:47 pm

» Better to watch airing or wait until completion?
by magical-pudding Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 32 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

Share | .

Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Chopstickman
Love Interest
Love Interest

Coffee Beans : 155

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 pm

I like Kuvira. She's just like my favorite character out of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Cao Cao. It will be interesting to see if she uses the Earth Prince the way Cao Cao did. But I have hopes that this season will be more (for lack of a better term) balanced in relation to the heroes and the world at large, unlike the previous season.

That point when you realize you are the weird friend people talk about
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 2076

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:01 pm

And now I won't be able to think of the new airbender uniforms any other way.
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Good lord, how fickle is Nickelodeon? It wasn't all that long ago that they put all of the episodes on their site, and now they're gone.

I guess it's cause the new season is starting, but jeez. 

I don't have a lot to say about this week's episode other than Kuvira making me concerned that she's going to turn out to be another Unalaq. I really liked how morally gray Amon and Zaheer were, but Kuvira's smugness is making me think she's just a black and white, blatantly evil type. But as long as she doesn't do anything as bad as what Unalaq did to Jinora I shouldn't want her head on a fence-post.
Back to top Go down
Chopstickman
Love Interest
Love Interest

Coffee Beans : 155

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:02 am

Anyone else really feel like this season is really just dialed in? Kuvira revealed as just another run of the mill dictator, predictable events like Korra not being able to win and Bolin's escape with Varrick. The characters are still entertaining but the story is just going downhill. It would have made for a much more interesting show if Kuvira was truly acting with the best interests of the people in mind. Bolin could have faced Korra at Zaofu. Korra would then have to figure out what balance really means for the world; instead of just getting over the fact that people want to kill her because she's the Avatar.

That point when you realize you are the weird friend people talk about
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:11 am

I am enjoying this season, but I'm certainly not enjoying Kuvira as much as I was Zaheer or Amon.

Kuvira ranks somewhere between alongside Amon, nestled between Zaheer and Unalaq (the latter being the worst). I like that she's not a sadistic prick who does unnecessarily cruel things, but like Amon, everything about her cause has turned out to be a lie. Kuvira's actually really respectful to others... so long as they're doing what she wants.

And as much as I feel bad for Suyin getting the fandom's hatedom, she was truly an idiot. We all know betrayal is not something she deals with well, but she should have figured Kuvira would expect an attack, and it all ended up playing beautifully into Kuvira's hands.

I have no problem with Korra losing to Kuvira. They clearly set up a thing with her seeing those creepy visions of herself, and I felt like it hasn't yet been properly explained. It would have been terrible if that was all gone once the metal was removed from her. And I'm glad she's not instantly back to 100% just cause she got the metal removed.

Plus it's only the first half of the show, I wouldn't expect Korra to be able to win a fight with the main villain so soon.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I did not predict ANYTHING of what's been happening with Varrick. I expected them to escape, but not so soon. I'm really liking the turn Varrick is taking, although I do think it was kind of sudden. He develops a conscience not because he cares about others, but simply because the spirit vine technology is too dangerous.

Recent interviews with the creators have revealed a couple of facts that while I respect, I'm kinda bummed. Firstly being that Sokka has no relevance in this, the final season. I can understand since he's already dead, and they need to focus on the present, not the past.

Second is that Kya's role in the story is done, and her final scene was her leaving on the boat with Korra. They specifically mentioned that they currently have more than enough characters to focus on as it is. I guess she's had a sufficient role in the story. Got some good development, a few awesome battles.
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Due to having their budget cut with nearly the amount it takes to make a new episode, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko decided to make this episode into a clips episode, as they were unwilling to fire a significant number of crew members several weeks early

*Sigh* Once again, Nickelodeon manages to screw with the show. Even after moving it to digital only release.

Can't say the episode thrilled me in any way, but it had a few nice moments and they did okay with what they could. The important thing is to look to the future. Serious stuff is likely to go down from here, so as long as the budget holds up, it should be great.
Back to top Go down
Serenity Magica
Civilian
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 45

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Kuvira is really not that interesting to me yet, and that's kinda disappointing. She just feels too black and wrote so far.  I know Unalaq was that way too but I still enjoyed him more.

That being said, I'm enjoying this season. Korra's development has been amazing and characters that I think got too little love before are featured nicely (Opal, Asami, and Varrick for example). Also the scene withZaheer was wonderful.
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm

@Serenity Magica wrote:
Kuvira is really not that interesting to me yet, and that's kinda disappointing. She just feels too black and wrote so far.  I know Unalaq was that way too but I still enjoyed him more.

Rounding up non-Earth Kingdom people and sending them to camps is pretty bad though. It's like the fantasy equivalent of Ethnic Cleansing. I kinda wish they had elaborated on that more, instead of just telling us it's happening. It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering Kuvira's goals.

Kuvira's also the least interesting of the four villains. She's just the captain of some nowhere town and an ordinary Earth/Metalbender. There's no real intrigue to her and her plot like there was with the other three. She also doesn't seem to have any flaws or human aspects aside from being really petty.

This season has indeed been very good to a lot of characters, particularly Bolin. He's gotten some much needed focus and development. And it's nice to have Lin taking a role in this season again. Haven't seen Kai since the first episode though.

Also it's official. Jinora can't go a single season without being a damsel in distress. It's a good thing she's an intelligent and capable character on her own, otherwise that might get kind of annoying.
Back to top Go down
Serenity Magica
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:03 pm

Oh my gosh I almost forgot about Bolin this season! He has been great!  I hadn't even realized how much Jinora had to be rescued. She is just awesome enough that I must have looked past that part.

Prince Wu is growing on me, too. As much as he is annoying, he is starting to seem like a nice guy (and he called Mako out for how he treated Asami)
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:36 pm

The entire first half of the clip show episode was Mako being  called out on his crap. I kinda wish Korra had too since a lot of the relationship mess was her fault too. I can't say I enjoyed getting a reminder of how badly she behaved at the start of book 2.

I really loved the scene in the second half, where Korra keeps trying to be down on herself and Asami REFUSES to allow it, like when she adamantly states that Toph was wrong about the world not needing Korra. She is such a wonderful, supportive character. <3
Back to top Go down
Serenity Magica
Civilian
Civilian

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:45 pm

The friendship between Korra and Asami is really great this season
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Just finished this week's Korra~ Spoilers below of course!

Very little Korra once again. Poor Korra, everything she tries ends in failure. Now even the spirits are dissing her.

Meanwhile they finally explained what the deal is with that sickly looking bison. "Juicy" is it's name. That sounds... wrong in more ways than the obvious.

XD I'm pretty sure Lin made the exact expression in that picture I posted earlier, when Bolin asked who her father was. "Some guy named Kanto." Eh. No word on Su's father, but Bataar Jr's resemblance to Sokka is a little unsettling.

So Zhu Li was doing the thing all along. I kinda figured she would do a better job at it, but she must have gotten really desperate.

I love how the fans were all wrong. The moment we saw Kuvira harvesting the swamp, people figured Toph was gonna show up and throw down. Instead she went to save her daughter.

The writers of this show are remarkably aware of the fans's gripes with it, otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need to explain away Katara's inaction during the civil war. It's fine either way. What kind of Legend of KORRA would it be if all of the older characters were constantly showing up the younger generation?

I suspected that Lin being involved in this would bring the wrath of Kuvira onto Republic City, but it looks like that was going to happen anyway.

We haven't seen Kai since the first episode. Guess his story is done.
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:59 pm

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 11 BELOW.

With a title like "Kuvira's gambit, you know something serious is about to go down.

And what a going down it is. First we get a scene that tries to suggest that Kuvira and Bataar's love is genuine, even though Kuvira doesn't seem to express her feelings well. It seems like this scene is here to illustrate that even if her love for him isn't stronger than her ambition, she's not just using him.

Compare this to the scene in book 1 where the Lieutenant sees Amon using bloodbending and calls him out on it. Potential subtext "I dedicated my life to you!" aside, Amon doesn't show any emotion and tosses the Lieutenant aside. We're never given even the slightest indication that Amon cared about the non-benders working with him.

Kuvira on the other hand has gone to great lengths to at least put up a good front around her soldiers. She faces Korra one-on-one, stating that she wouldn't put her soldiers through anything she wouldn't go through herself.

So when Kuvira decides that her empire is more important to her than Bataar, she actually expresses emotion about it, finally saying "I love you" as she prepares to blow him up along with Korra and her group.

I love how they're going out of their way to make Mako an awkward doof. He tries to notify the citizens of the evacuation and goes into a lengthy ramble about page 1 of a handbook and such. Makes me think that if he were in a high school setting he'd be one of those "by the books" hall monitor or class rep characters.

Wu meanwhile plays the McCoy to Mako's Spock and gives a very heartwarming message to instruct the people to safety, diffusing all of the confusion Mako caused. The bathroom part was a little silly, but at least he didn't ruin it by saying he was only trying to impress a girl.

Kai finally showed up again! At least we know he's not in a prison camp somewhere. Fans have noticed that he stays right by Jinora's side the entire time. He's grown so much since being the adorable little snot from the last season.

Jeez Korra, was that plan/threat what you took out of "learn from your enemies?" cause that was hardcore. We already knew it wasn't going to work since it's too early in the game for that, but wow was it chilling.

As was Kuvira's response. I'm reminded of the finale of Code Lyoko, where the final, most powerful enemy was a giant monstrosity known as "The Colossus". 

I love reading blog posts about this show after an episode releases because there's so much that wouldn't have occurred to me. For example, when I watched the previous episode where Varrick and Bolin help those prison escapees, they passed by wanted posters of themselves. I didn't think anything at the time, until I saw blog posts that reminded me that Bataar told Kuvira he was certain that those two were dead. Despite that, she was savvy enough to spread wanted posters around.

Now we have this giant mecha with an arm mounted shoulder cannon... and we see why Kuvira had the domes from Zaofu removed. Zaofu is famous for how secure it is, no doubt thanks to those domes. Now our heroes are facing a gigantic enemy MADE of those domes, with a laser death beam running on a seemingly endless supply of spirit vine energy.

The final two episodes release next Friday. As much as I'm not looking forward to having a piece of my soul die, I'm looking forward to an amazing conclusion to animated, voice acted Avatar goodness.
Back to top Go down
RLinksoul
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:43 am

LEGEND OF KORRA FINALE SPOILERS BELOOOOOOOOOOW

And now the last two episodes have released and I have many feelings.

First feeling: WHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IS IT OVER!? T_T

Second feeling: It was actually really good.

With a much larger cast of characters, they did quite a lot to get everyone to have a hand in the final battle. I kinda liked how it was all centralized in one place, instead of having the groups split off in three like the last series.

Meelo actually came up with a good plan even though it didn't really work. Good lord that thing is sturdy if not even LAVA can eat away at it.

So much tension. It's 60 degrees over here and I was sweating quite a bit by the end. Three times I thought someone was going to die. And then the one time I didn't think someone was going to die... he did. And for real. Why does the redemption = death trope exist? Just to hurt viewers. Why must Asami always suffer?

I love how one of the first things we were told about this season was that we'd learn about Varrick's childhood, and all we get is an interrupted story about him living on a farm with an ostrich. He's from the Southern Water Tribe? What's an ostrich?

Mako... Mako... Mako. What were you thinking? You nearly killed yourself, Bolin, Korra and anyone who didn't get out of the way in time.

When Kuvira wandered into the spirit wilds, I honestly began to "oh crap" under my breath, figuring the vines/spirits were going to Zhao her. And then Kuvira managed to hook the giant laser weapon up to some vines like an AC adapter and couldn't shut it down. That was insane. 

Instead the spirits played no part in any of this. Well they suck so it's fine.

The only thing I have really mixed feelings about is Kuvira receiving sympathy points in the end. Being an orphan is tough, but do you really call sending dissenters and foreign people "wanting to protect your nation?" I do love how the scene perfectly illustrated how much Korra has grown and come to accept what happened to her last season.

I really like how Books 3 and 4 were made to connect to each other, like two parts of the same season even though they both had amazing finales. The concept art for Kuvira in book 3 for example stated quite clearly that she's not just some everyman security guard, that she'd be an important character in book 4.

I admit I chuckled a bit when Kuvira apologized to Suyin for everything so sincerely and Su's just like "You're going to pay for everything you've done!" in such a cold tone. A bit of the same "We're family" treatment as Bataar Jr. would have been nice. I kinda forgot about him though. His role in the story just... ended early on in the first half.

HIROSHI WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Prince Wu's character has grown remarkably in the short span of this season. Starting off as a goofy comic relief and showing some surprising intelligence... and singing talent.

And then there's that ending. Wow. They did it. They actually did it. They skirted the line of Korrasasami as close as possible without actually having them kiss. It was... wow. I'm sure the internet is mostly focusing on that right now.

If there's one thing I'm bummed about it's that it looks like Korra isn't going to be reconnecting with her past lives again. The last we see of Aang is that silly poster with the sushi rolls. Who knows, maybe they'll keep making comics based on the series.

All in all, Legend of Korra has been a bumpy ride, but it's one I'll miss quite a bit outside of rewatching it. There were a lot of grievances I had with the first two seasons, but the latter two I have almost no issues with. I already have the first three seasons on DVD and I'm definitely getting the fourth when it comes out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra   

Back to top Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5