Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Our tumblr
Activity Helpers!
Latest topics
» Miraculous Ladybug: Broken Bonds (Part 2)
by Mew Ami Today at 12:11 am

» Magical Girls: The unprotected dimension
by sailorpandabear Yesterday at 11:44 am

» To Catch A Thief
by Mew Ami Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:15 pm

» Conflicting Emotions
by Mew Ami Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 pm

» Miraculous Ladybug
by Mew Ami Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 pm

» Check out my tumblr account!
by jurirenee2015 Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:49 am

» Pokemon: Sun and Moon
by magical-pudding Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm

» What are you watching right now?
by sailorpandabear Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:54 pm

» Pokemon!
by magical-pudding Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:47 pm

» Better to watch airing or wait until completion?
by magical-pudding Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 32 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 pm
Magical Girl Sites

Non Magical Girl Sites
Isafaro

Share | .

Miracle Dieter Miyuki

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 467

PostSubject: Miracle Dieter Miyuki   Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:46 pm

Here's the MAL link!

Most magical girl series have a motif. Sailor Moon has space, Tokyo Mew Mew has animals, PMMM has pain and suffering... Well, this parody series has a weight loss motif.

First, some background. This manga is not a standalone title. It's actually a spinoff from a yaoi manga called Sakende Yaruze (also known as Shout Out Loud). Miracle Dieter Miyuki was a fictional anime in the universe of that manga, and eventually became its own manga. There are only two volumes -- more chapters were published in Japan, but were never collected into their own volume.

Has anyone seen episode seven of Wedding Peach? The one where the villains infuse some rice with "the essence of fatness" causing all the girls who eat it to get fat? That's essentially what the plot to this manga is. Yukimi, a chubby girl, transforms into the thin and beautiful Miyuki to fight the evil Chef Fiatee, who wants to make all the girls in the world fat for...some reason. We're never really told why Chef Fiatee is so fixated with teenage girls eating habits, but there you go.

To be honest, I went into this expecting a lot of fatshaming... And there was some, especially in the beginning. But it honestly surprised me by being less shame-y and more preachy. All it really did was promote healthy eating habits, like not skipping meals and eating your vegetables. Not too bad, all things considered, with a premise like this. Still, I'm not going to pretend that it didn't make me cringe every time Yukimi got picked on by the resident Mean Girl.

Love My Tumblr Love
Dazzle My MAL Profile
Dazzle
Back to top Go down
http://magical-pudding.tumblr.com
Mahou Jen
Civilian
Civilian

Coffee Beans : 4

PostSubject: Re: Miracle Dieter Miyuki   Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Perfect timing for these New Year weight-loss resolutions going around. Laugh I have to say I'm not totally surprised that something like this exists, especially since there is that workout anime with girls trying to become seiyuu or something or that game where bishounen yell at/shame you into keeping up with a diet and exercising. (that latter makes me cringe so hard)

This seems like a really cute quick read and it's nice to hear that there is some positivity in there. I also love the magical transformation item is a dumbbell, very appropriate. ^^ I'll check it out sometime if there are any translations somewhere.
Back to top Go down
magical-pudding
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Coffee Beans : 467

PostSubject: Re: Miracle Dieter Miyuki   Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:28 pm

I had never heard of that before! It doesn't surprise me, though. Japan can be pretty bad with the weight thing. I don't wear it myself, but I'm interested in J-fashion... From what I've heard, one of the reasons that a lot of those clothes don't go up to bigger sizes is because the designers don't want to lose their regular customers. They fear that no thin people would want to buy their clothes if they knew that fat people could wear them, too. Shock It's sad, really.

But yeah, this manga was nowhere near as shame-y as I was expecting. It was made abundantly clear that Yukimi was completely healthy at her size, and there was nothing wrong with her eating habits. Actually, if the manga shamed anyone, it was her classmates for constantly skipping meals and taking diet pills. The manga really seemed a bit like a social commentary against the weight loss craze among young girls in Japan... It was pretty interesting to read! There are translations up on MangaFox of the two collected volumes.

Love My Tumblr Love
Dazzle My MAL Profile
Dazzle
Back to top Go down
http://magical-pudding.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miracle Dieter Miyuki   

Back to top Go down

Miracle Dieter Miyuki

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1